Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Stealing Books and Writing

Ready for a true confession? When I was a kid I used to steal books from my school library. Okay...don't call the cops. I didn't actually steal them, I would always take them back after I had read them.

I took them because my school only allowed the students to check out two books a week. I wasn't a very fast reader, but I could read a lot more than two books a week. The librarian caught me one day and kicked me out of the library for the rest of the year. That was in sixth grade and it was the saddest school year I ever had.

Something a little similar happened to me the other day, when a librarian yelled at me (we were in cyberspace, so let's call it flaming) for asking how a writer might go about getting their novel into more public libraries. It offended her that I mentioned the title of my book; she thought I was advertising it.

Now...I have to admit that beginning authors do have a bad habit of name-dropping our book titles into conversations. Maybe we are trying to push ourselves, but I doubt it because most of us are so horribly shy. I think it more a way of reminding ourselves that someone thought we were good enough to publish. (There are days when that is all that keeps us going.)

This librarian was really angry with me and it made me feel terrible for a minute or two. But I think I will persist in asking the question, because I'm pretty sure that she was wrong. And so was the the school librarian in sixth grade. Librarians just shouldn't act that way. It doesn't go with the territory.


to those schools. concrete Okay. For all those who think

No comments: