Search This Blog

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards, You're Better Off than these Church Members

Elizabeth Edwards, 62, died Tuesday six years after being diagnosed with breast cancer. I have a couple of thoughts about her death.   


The first one may shock you. I don't feel sad about it. 


Throw stones if you will, but don't you have a sneaking sense of relief when you read about a prominent person's death from breast cancer? To me, that seems natural. When you know someone personally, a sense of grief at their death is realistic. Otherwise, it's a put-on. Yes, I admired the woman, but I never met her.  I always feel like I dodged a bullet when I hear someone famous died from cancer. You're still here. I'm still here.  Let's go forward and be thankful. Someday we won't be, so there's no time to waste. 


My second thought is less selfish. I read that her doctors claim she died without losing consciousness and without pain. That happens very often, and I find it comforting. Death is a natural process, life always leads to death, and death always leads to life. (Or at least most people believe it does, myself among them.) For her children's sake, I wish she'd beat the disease, but I'm pleased she was able to remain herself until the end. 


One final thought: have you heard about the church in Kansas who plans to picket her funeral? Can you imagine the type of "Christian" who would show up at a grave-site with a sign saying: "God hates Elizabeth Edwards?" 


I'm going to conclude this with a few words from the woman herself, defending her decision to continue campaigning with her husband: 

"But you know, after all I've been through, I realize: You don't know exactly what life lessons you taught your kids until much later. You don't. And maybe the most important life lesson for them is for me to say, When bad things happen, you don't let them take you down. If I hadn't continued to campaign, I'd be sending the opposite message: When bad things happen, go hide. Do I know with absolute certainty we're doing the right thing? I don't. Having been through what I've been through, I hope people trust I wouldn't risk my relationship with my children. I think this is the right choice."

One tough woman. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, beautiful post. Thank you. I salute Elizabeth. She was a strong woman--and set the model for us all. BTW--I live across the driveway from Joan Upton Hall! I've heard her speak of you often! Glad you are doing well.